What to do?
- ACT QUICKLY – any delay may cause irreversible damage to your artwork
- TAKE PHOTOS OF THE DAMAGE in situ. Contact an art-based picture framer who will understand what he or she is handling
- DISASSEMBLE the artwork from its frame – lay the art work out on a flat surface and let it dry naturally. Be cautious. Wet paper is weak and may stick to the glass – do not force anything.
- USEFUL WARNINGS – do not touch any damp surfaces. Touching may cause smudging with wet mould being accidentally rubbed into the surface, whereas, if allowed to dry naturally, the mould may dust off with minimal or no damage
- CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE ASSESSOR if you have not already done so
By acting quickly as outlined above you will possibly have saved your artwork from more extensive restoration costs and/or actually saved your artwork